Healthy Eating: Chicken Quinoa Salad
Recipes Provided By Teena Gudjonson From Photos By Jayson Hencheroff
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Protein: 13 g
Carbs: 53 g
Fat: 6 g
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth
2 medium yams, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1/2 small purple cabbage, shredded
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp molasses or pure maple syrup
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1. Sauté chicken breast, sesame oil, and one tablespoon of soy sauce until chicken is fully cooked, then set aside to cool.
2. In a medium pot, bring quinoa and chicken broth to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
3. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool.
4. Sauté diced yams with olive oil and two tablespoons of water in a covered pan.
5. Add the yams to a bowl with remaining ingredients, then combine with cooked chicken and quinoa.
6. Mix well and enjoy immediately or refrigerate for up to three days.
Quick Tip: Chicken is low in saturated fat, making it a great, heart-healthy, cholesterol-reducing pick.